A hundred sunscreen options in a retail store doesn't make sunscreen safe and healthy. Whenever chemicals are put on the human body, there are consequences. What you should know is:
Traditional sunscreens have been around since 1944 and use various combinations of 15 different FDA approved chemical active ingredients to absorb UV radiation on top of your skin. They also contain chemical fragrances, colors, and synthetic preservatives that have been linked to a host of health related issues, like skin irritation, hormone disruption, allergy irritation, and cancer.
The good news is that people like you are beginning to question the safety and healthiness of traditional sunscreen. Our goal is to offer a sunscreen that is completely aligned and supportive of the human body when it's exposed to sunlight.
A safe, healthy, and protective natural sunscreen should do three things:
1) Increase your body’s ability to fight free radical damage (free redials are the root cause of sunburn, prematurely aged skin, and nonmelanoma skin cancer).
2) Provide effective filtering of UVA, UVB & UVC radiation, without the use of chemicals.
3) Condition, hydrate, nourish, and rejuvenate skin.
When it comes to sunburn protection, there are four reasons why traditional chemical sunscreen falls short of providing the most effective sun protection.
1. Traditional sunscreens do not focus on the prevention of free radical damage.
2. Traditional sunscreens contain Chemical Active Ingredients that generate free radicals as they lose their filtering effectiveness, contributing to sunburn and long-term skin damage.
3. Traditional sunscreen focuses on the Sun Protection Factor (SPF) number, which only gauges its effectiveness against UVB radiation (strongest between 11 and 3 PM). Until recently, FDA rules did not include testing sunscreens effectiveness against UVA light. Currently adopted regulations will require every sunscreen to be tested and labeled as “Broad Spectrum” if it has a higher capacity for filtering UVA light. Filtering UVA radiation is important because it reaches deeper into your skin, is at 100% intensity from dawn to dusk, and is thought to be a contributing factor in the development of melanoma, a deadlier form of skin cancer. Regardless, manufacturers continue to promote the SPF number as the best way to select sunscreen.
4. When traditional sunscreens do include antioxidants, they are usually in synthetic or acetate form which is ineffective against free radicals on your skin.
MelanSol® natural sunscreen is revolutionary because it safely combines natural UV reflection, in the form of titanium dioxide or zinc oxide, with an active combination of three 100% natural antioxidants: Bio-Melanin (date fruit extract), Green Tea Extract, and Natural Vitamin E (mixed d-tocopherol). These antioxidants work synergistically as a continually “active system” to help control the development of free radicals on your skin. Tests have revealed that the system of three natural antioxidants in MelanSol® is five times more powerful than the individual antioxidants alone.
A Duke University study revealed that traditional sunscreens are inadequate and how natural antioxidants are the key to making them more effective--The groundbreaking study, published in The Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, fully documented how using natural antioxidants, such as green tea, in sunscreen were effective at helping prevent sking aging sun damage.
MelanSol® is a Broad Spectrum Sunscreen-2012 FDA sunscreen regulations require that, in order for a sunscreen to say it is "Broad Spectrum", it must pass a new test for UVA protection. All MelanSol sunscreens have passed this test and as such are Broad Spectrum. MelanSol® SPF 20 and 30 also comply with EU regulations for their ability to filter UV A light. Both passed with a "high" rating for UVA.
Sunscreen is not “one-size-fits-all” --MelanSol® sunscreen is specifically designed for different skin tones, so each may have the ability to synthesize the proper amount of vitamin D. Since darker skin filters more sunlight, a lower the SPF and UVA rating should be used.
MelanSol® promotes healthy skin--The natural ingredients in MelanSol® Skin Care are not random. Each helps promote healthy skin by supplying hydration, nourishment, conditioning, and the ability to rejuvenate and repair.
All MelanSol® ingredients are available for public view on this website--A complete internationally recognized INCI list of ingredients (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients) is provided for each MelanSol® product.
©Copyright 2010-12 Oceana Naturals, LLC, All Rights Reserved. No reprints of this information may be made without express written consent.